Re: Prepared queries and portals

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Cyril VELTER" <cyril(dot)velter(at)metadys(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Prepared queries and portals
Date: 2004-03-04 00:01:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Cyril VELTER" <cyril(dot)velter(at)metadys(dot)com> writes:
> so I've modified libpq to handle the case by adding to functions :

> PQexecPreparedPortal(conn,stmtName,portalName,nParams,paramValues,paramlengt
> h,paramFormats,resultFormat,maxrows);

> and

> PQfetchPortal(conn,portalName,maxrows)

> PQexecPreparedPortal is a PQexecPrepared clone but you can specify the
> portal in which the result should be put (which might be the unnamed one)
> and the maximum number of rows to retreive after the execution.

> PQfetchPortal fetch the next rows.

> This works nicely.

This looks fairly messy to me. Seems like the exposed API ought to be
three functions: set up a portal, fetch (up to) N rows from a portal,
close down a portal. Your proposal confuses the first two and fails to
provide the last.

More generally it might be a good idea to provide lower-level access to
other parts of the extended-query protocol, such as Describe and Sync.
I did not do anything about that in 7.4 for lack of time, but it's still
something that ought to be thought about.