Re: [HACKERS] Collaboration Tool Proposal

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Joseph Tate <jtate(at)dragonstrider(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Collaboration Tool Proposal
Date: 2004-02-26 18:19:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32 pgsql-www

Joseph,

Thanks for feedback.

> Has anyone talked to the people at collabnet (http://www.collab.net)? I
> wonder if they'd be willing to put something together for the PostgreSQL
> team? They run the tigris.org site, which is one of the nicest OSS
> collaboration sites I've worked with. GForge is nice, but seems more
> kludgey than Tigris.

Collabnet is not OSS. We would be dependant on their charity (and
profitablity) to host us, which has not been The PostgreSQL Way (tm) to
date. Also, as a former OpenOffice.org Project lead, Collabnet is not very
responsive to user feature requests unless they are backed by $$$$. It's
the way proprietary software works. Last time I was involved (late 2002),
all web management on CN was done via CVS, which meant that everything,
including news items, needed to be coded in raw HTML. Not the direction we
want to go in.

Believe me, I considered CN, because it *is* an excellent code management
tool. But it's not OSS and the community management support isn't there.

> What does the Apache project run?

Not sure. Anyone?

> Another option is something like Drupal (http://www.drupal.org). Drupal
> is a CMS system with tons of plugins. I'm not sure that it could handle
> a project as large as PostgreSQL, but Drupal's own development work is
> self hosted. It may merit some investigation.

Nope. Drupal is stricty community; it doesn't do project/code management.
Also it doesn't scale (and isn't intended to).

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions