Moving from MySQL to PGSQL....some questions

From: Karam Chand <karam_chand03(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Moving from MySQL to PGSQL....some questions
Date: 2004-02-25 14:57:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello

I have been working with Access and MySQL for pretty
long time. Very simple and able to perform their jobs.
I dont need to start a flame anymore :)

I have to work with PGSQL for my companies current
project.

I have been able to setup postgresql in my rh box and
i can connect and work with psql. I even downloaded
pgadmin III so that i can get to work with a GUI
interface.

As I starting...I see the architecture of PGSQL is
quite complex...or thats what I feel....maybe its for
good :) Here are some of my doubts :

1.) What is template1 and template0? I assume these
are system databases. Am I right?

2.) When I create a database using CREATE DATABASE
stmt. a new DB is created where it has 4 schemas and
around 100 tables. These are the system tables keeping
information about everything in the database? I hope I
am correct :)

3.) To get all the database is the server we use query
like -

select datname from pg_database

I means that there exists a table pg_database in all
the database and all the pg_database table(s) are
updated whenever a user issues CREATE DATABASE stmt.

Why I am saying so coz in PgAdmin III i can see these
tables in all the databases?

4.) I couldnot find any query to change the context of
database like in MySQL :

use database;

or am i missing something?

5.) In MySQL, there are many command like show tables,
show databases etc. to get object details. I cant see
anything similar in PGSQL. After searching the net i
find that i have to execute certain queries to fetch
those queries. Is this the only way?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Karam