Re: Storing Perl objects

From: joseph speigle <joe(dot)speigle(at)jklh(dot)us>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Storing Perl objects
Date: 2004-02-09 00:03:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

maybe SPOPS will work, which is an acronym for Simple Perl Object Persistence with Security
which wraps calls like 'fetch' and 'store', and the real code lies in your subclassing SPOPS implementing DBI specific methods for the Postgres DBI (i'd imagine). There are a few other modules on CPAN which you would probably also inherit from and override methods to get them to work.

Unfortunately, I don't know what OO capabilities PostgreSQL has on its own. I suppose that's what you're asking, though.

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 12:07:30PM -0500, kynn(at)panix(dot)com wrote:

> I understand that PostgreSQL has OO capabilities. Is it possible to
> store full-blown Perl objects in a PostgreSQL table? (I suppose that
> one can always serialize Perl objects and store the serialized text,
> but this is hardly OO.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> kynn

joe speigle