Re: Storing Perl objects

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: <kynn(at)panix(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Storing Perl objects
Date: 2004-02-09 05:36:45
Lists: pgsql-novice

Kynn,

> I understand that PostgreSQL has OO capabilities.

Nope! Bzzzzzzzz. Thank you for playing. ;-)

We are Object-Relational, not Object Oriented. Object-Relational has to do
with our custom data types, operators, aggregates, and table inheritance. It
is not OO, or even really analogous.

> Is it possible to
> store full-blown Perl objects in a PostgreSQL table? (I suppose that
> one can always serialize Perl objects and store the serialized text,
> but this is hardly OO.)

I suggest using Alzabo. Look it up on Freshmeat.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions