Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but...

From: Paul Thomas <paul(at)tmsl(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Derek Shaw <derek(at)bisi(dot)ca>
Cc: "pgsql-general (at) postgresql (dot) org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: I want to use postresql for this app, but...
Date: 2004-02-06 11:27:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-odbc

On 05/02/2004 19:33 Derek Shaw wrote:
> I am working with a window-manufacturing firm (the real thing!). One of
> the reasons we are about to choose one of the vertical-market
> applications is that they claim ODBC compliance, and "Using other ODBC
> compliant database engines should not present a problem but may require
> some additional testing..." This is in stark contrast to all the other
> vendors who require MSSQL on the back end (or an AS400), and the usual
> windoziness about why you'd want to do anything else.
>
> When I asked about using PostgreSQL this is the reply I received:
> ----
> I discussed PostureSQL with Paul and his technical director sent me the
> following comment:
> / PostgreSQL// is open source and so far they have not agreed on a blob
> field properly we use blob fields for the item bitmap, old conservatory
> data and meta files for graphics. An ODBC driver is available and
> describes how to fudge a blob field but it says that it does not clean
> them up properly when updating. I suggest moving to MySQL which
> is also open source ??///
> They estimate about one day additional time to make necessary changes
> and to test for MySQL. Let me know what you think.
> ----
> These folks develop using MSAccess and MSSQL. Can anyone shed any light
> on how serious this problem is, and whether it is ever likely to be
> resolved so that I could use PostgreSQL?

I wonder if they've got confused about the 2 ways in PostgreSQL can store
blobs. There is the older Large Object method and there is the newer bytea
data type. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/44.php could help them
understand which to use. Or they could ask on this list.

Perhaps you should also ask them them to comment on
http://sql-info.de/mysql. Do they believe a database which can silently
corrupt your data is a product worth recommending to a paying client?

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants |