Starting the Server ?

From: pgmoscatt <pgmoscatt(at)optushome(dot)com(dot)au>
To: PostGreSQL List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Starting the Server ?
Date: 2004-02-06 12:20:31
Lists: pgsql-general

I have just installed PostGres on to my Mandrake 9.2 system. I
installed using the RPMs on the MD install CDs.

I notice that when I start the PC the database server dosen't start
during boot even though there is a postgres file in '/etc/rc.d/init.d'
which I would have thought would have started the server automatically.

To start the server I type:

su
su postgres
postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

I have to be logged in as 'postgres' and not my normal user name to
start.

What do I need to do to get things back on track and start during boot ?

Pete