Re: [HELP] MSAccess picks wrong keys

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Aaron Spike <sauron(at)mlc-wels(dot)edu>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HELP] MSAccess picks wrong keys
Date: 2004-01-26 15:19:07
Lists: pgsql-odbc

--------------------+--------------------------------+-----------
> Course_Number | character varying(7)
> | not null
> Course_ShortName | character varying(12)
> |
> Course_Credit | double precision
> | not null
> ModifiedBy | text
> |
> Modified | timestamp(0) without time zone
> |
> Course_Description | text
> |
> SchoolYear | character varying(6)
> | not null
> SchoolYearSemester | character varying(1)
> | not null
> Course_LongName | character varying(255)
> |
> Indexes: Courses_pkey primary key btree
> ("Course_Number",
> "SchoolYear", "SchoolYearSemester")
> Triggers: courses_update_modified

From the psqlodbc FAQs:

Q: How do I get my application to recognize primary
keys?
A: SQLPrimaryKeys() is implemented in the driver. The
driver queries the system tables in search of a unique
index named with the using "{table}_pkey". For
Example:

create table foo (
id integer primary key,
name varchar(20)
);

So, for you this should "just work". I don't have an
answer, but maybe someone else can suggest it.

If you don't have logging enabled, you may want to try
that for a while; there may be some clues in there.

BTW, I suggest you reconsider your use of a composite
primary key. The fact that they are supported doesn't
make them a good idea.

At some time in the past I resolved to put
serial/autoincrement fields as a primary key in every
one of my Access tables (linked or not), and my life
became simpler after that.