Re: OLAP CUBE/ROLLUP Operators and GROUP BY grouping sets

From: "Robert Bedell" <robert(at)friendlygenius(dot)com>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OLAP CUBE/ROLLUP Operators and GROUP BY grouping sets
Date: 2003-12-17 23:02:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > More specifically I would like to add grouping sets, and the CUBE and
> ROLLUP
> > operators, into postgresql. Since modifying such the GROUP BY operation
> > would necessitate changing the query structure, wouldn't that affect the
> > query rewrites and genetic optimizer?
>
> I don't think either the rewriter or GEQO would notice at all. The
> regular optimizer definitely would though.

Alright, I will focus on the regular optimizer more specifically then.
Thanks!

> > These are not simple projects, I know.
>
> Might be a tad ambitious for your first venture into backend hacking...

I agree completely. I'm not purporting to jump in quite that quickly, but
it is something I would like to see added, and am willing to put the time
towards. If you have any suggestions for items in the TODO list that would
move me more quickly towards my goal I would appreciate it. (Also useful to
avoid working on something someone else is!)

To Joe Conway:

Thanks for the link! And if you have any specific ideas on window frame
aggregates I would like to discuss them with you out of band ;)

Thanks for you time ;)

Cheers,

Robert