Re: tuning questions

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tuning questions
Date: 2003-12-04 18:11:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:57:38AM -0800, Dror Matalon wrote:

> I've seen this comment several times from different people.
> Would someone care to explain how you would get data corruption? I
> thought that the whole idea of the log is to provide a journal similar
> to what you get in a journaling file system.

> So what am I missing in this picture?

That a journalling file system can _also_ have file corruption if you
have write caching enabled and no battery back up. If the drive
tells the OS, "Yep! It's all on the disk!" bit it is _not_ actually
scribed in the little bitty magnetic patterns -- and at that very
moment, the power goes away -- the data that was reported to have been
on the disk, but which was actually _not_ on the disk, is no longer
anywhere. (Well, except in the past. But time travel was disabled
some versions ago. ;-)

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Afilias Canada Toronto, Ontario Canada