Re: Committing Resources to Win32

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32 <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Committing Resources to Win32
Date: 2003-11-12 04:05:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have arranged to have 1 full time dedicated programmer to the Win32
> port. I
> can commit this person for 320 hours. I may also be able to add an
> additional
> full time programmer (for a total of 2) to the win32 project in a short
> period of time.
> However before I commit the resources I would like to get an idea of the
> direction
> the project is going.
>
> Specifically, I believe and through conversations with several Win32
> programmers
> I know, that using create process is a bad idea and that we should move to
> a threaded model (at least for Win32).
>
> What are people's thoughts on this. Is there a development plan for
> the Win32
> version that I perhaps haven't seen or are we just kind of hacking it as
> we go along?

Basically, I think we are going in the right direction on the Win32
port:

http://momjian.postgresql.org/main/writings/pgsql/win32.html

If we need threading in the future, we can add it but the basic work
still needs to be done, and I think CreateProcess will be a minor issue.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us