Re: Mapping Oracle types to PostgreSQL types

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(at)poure(dot)com>
To: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mapping Oracle types to PostgreSQL types
Date: 2003-10-17 14:52:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Le Vendredi 17 Octobre 2003 16:32, Matthew T. O'Connor a écrit :
> This would be wonderful.  However, I believe the guys at Compiere tried
> to do this already and gave up on porting it to postgresql due too a
> couple of PostgreSQL limitations.  I don't remember what they are
> exactly, I think it had to do with nested transactions, maybe
> savepoints, not sure exactly.  You should be able to find some mention
> of this on their site.  It sounded to me like they use a lot of Oracle
> features.

There are only a few limitations in PostgreSQL like nested transaction,
updatable cursors and Oracle PL error handling. Can we call these
"limitations"? Most of us can live without them. These "limitations" are only
a small portion of the code (sometimes a few lines like updatable cursors).

Cheers, Jean-Michel