Re: pgAdmin III Bugs/Feature Requests - Solution

From: "Mark A(dot) Taff" <marktaff(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr, pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III Bugs/Feature Requests - Solution
Date: 2003-09-27 06:33:52
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

So then, on a default SuSE 8.2/KDE (with a full gnome install as well), and
running pgadmin3 under KDE:

Add the lines Raphael suggested (below) to the file `etc/X11/gtk2rc-keramik`,
then restart pgadmin3. This will adjust the font & font size pgadmin3 uses.
Note that only arial 7 works well. Other fonts and/or larger sizes cut off
controls. I also installed 100dpi fonts, and changed gnome's default to
render fonts at 120 dpi, as this minimized the differrence in rendering fonts
between the desktops.

The other problem, namely fonts and/or controls on the forms being cropped is
due to the xml-based *.xrc files that pgadmin uses to create the
dialogs/forms. The problem is they are designed to be static. This is fine
if they are only used for one language and one font size combination.

This is likely, IMHO, the reason why the pgadmin3 team made distinct forms for
every language supported by pgadmin3. However, this only solves half the
problem. If you need or want to use a font/fontsize that renders larger than
arial 7-8 does, then text and controls will be clipped. For example, arial
10 makes pgadmin3 completely unusable on my setup.

IMHO, these xrc files should be using "sizers" to ensure suitable form
rendering at various fonts/font sizes (and maybe among various languages as
well). The general rule of thumb, gleaned from the wxWindows website and
other wxWindows developers' sites is that one sizer should be used for each
control. Doing this should solve this problem. One consequence of doing
this would be to increase the size of the xrc files by about 3-4 times. This
may be an issue on slower systems or systems with poor xml parsers.

I will be redesigning these forms to use sizers, starting with frmOptions,
which I will submit to pgadmin-hackers to get feedback on whether the
developers want to pursue this with the remaining forms and add them to the
distribution.

Thanks for all of your help, and congrats to the developers and testers on
reaching v1.0!

Regards,
Mark