Re: About GPL and proprietary software

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Kaarel <kaarel(at)future(dot)ee>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: About GPL and proprietary software
Date: 2003-09-08 19:55:21
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

On Monday 08 September 2003 19:30, Kaarel wrote:
>> Your client software has to link in software belonging to MySQL AB,
>> and that's where they are now "biting" people on this.
>>
>> This is one of the reasons why the PHP people removed bundled MySQL
>> support in version 5 back in June.</pre>
>

> Would a perl application using DBI have a similar problem? Or how would
> one then legally use PHP with MySQL without GPL-ing your product and
> without buying MySQL commercial license?

There might be a "pure perl" DBI driver for mysql, in which case that's
probably under the Artistic Licence. As far as using PHP+MySQL, it's not a
matter of use, but distribution. I can freely download MySQL and PHP, set
them up and build an application in whatever way I like. If, however I
distribute that application, linked to the GPL'd MySQL client then my
application becomes GPL (assuming the GPL is legally valid and I haven't
bought a licence from MySQL).

What happens with an application built on top of MySQL+PHP I couldn't say. I'm
guessing your PHP scripts can be distributed under any licence you like, but
you couldn't distribute MySQL+PHP with them.

Anyway, their intention is that you *can't* distribute your application
without either GPL-ing it or buying a licence. One of the reasons why a BSD
licence is more friendly from a business point of view, although it does mean
companies can release proprietry extensions that they keep private.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd