Re: database design

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Jennifer Vargas <w47fnpch02(at)sneakemail(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: database design
Date: 2003-08-07 15:41:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

Jennifer,

> What books or net sources are good for explaining the uses of features
> like triggers,
> stored procedures, transactions, and views in the *design* of a
> database? I've seen
> plenty of books at the store giving a functional overview of them, but
> none of them
> explain how, why, and when such features are integrated into a database
> design.

Frankly, I don't think there are any. The database application design books
I've seen have focused on the app code and neglected the database beyond
simple SQL. If anyone knows a book that's different, please let me know.

In theory, I'm writing such a book, and so is one of the PostgreSQL sponsor
companies. However, I don't think either of us has gotten past chapter 2 ...

Me, I'll probably focus on magazine articles instead, I can get those done.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions