Re: PlPython

From: Tilo Schwarz <mail(at)tilo-schwarz(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PlPython
Date: 2003-06-30 20:28:56
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hannu Krosing writes:
> Tom Lane kirjutas E, 23.06.2003 kell 01:29:
> > Kevin Jacobs <jacobs(at)penguin(dot)theopalgroup(dot)com> writes:
> > > Attached is a patch that removes all of the RExec code from plpython
> > > from the current PostgreSQL CVS. In addition, plpython needs to be
> > > changed to an untrusted language in createlang.
> >
> > I am inclined to rename plpython to plpythonu, by analogy to pltclu.

> > Comments?
>
> could we not just make sure that plpython uses python ver < 2.x and use
> plpythonu for python versions >= 2.x until a secure regex solution comes
> from Guido and folks ?
>
> I guess most plpython users would be much happier with plpython with
> some minor limitations due to older version than with being forced to
> use an untrusted pl altogether.

Actually, there are also people (me, for example :-), who would love to see an
untrusted PlPython to use the full Python power as Pl. So I'd be very happy
with a solution, where I could choose between plpython and plpythonu. But I
don't know if that means having twice the effort compared to only having
plpython _or_ plpythonu.

Regards,

Tilo