some questions about buffer management

From: Cuong bui <xoror(at)infuse(dot)org>
To: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: some questions about buffer management
Date: 2003-06-30 20:32:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

hi all,

i'm progressing with my implementation of ARC to try to replace LRU.
I have the following questions:

- When do we know we have a page fault ?
i've found AddBufferToFreelist() to be one. but are there other places as
well ?

- What variable holds the number of our cache capacity ?
i'm guessing on NBuffers for now.

-How do we know we had a cache hit ?
i'm guessing ReadBuffer for know. Are there other calls as well ?

-How do i wait for a buffer tot get undirty ?

ok hope to hear from someone soon ;)