Re: Legal Info

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Jason Godden" <j(dot)godden(at)latrobe(dot)edu(dot)au>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Legal Info
Date: 2003-04-16 15:34:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Jason,

> I am employed by La Trobe University in Melbourne, Australia and for a
> recent major project I opted use PostgreSQL v7.3.0. The project has
> generally been a success and I have requested that I make a submission
> to the PG Advocacy site to be approved by our PR Department. Before I
> submit my document our PR Department needs to review any legal
> implications about using the La Trobe University name in combination
> with PostgreSQL advocacy and I was wondering if you have any
> documents/contacts with whom we could get in touch with to sort these
> matters out.

Unfortunately, the PostgreSQL project does *not* have a lawyer. I,
personally, cannot imagine any such implications, but I am not an attorney.
In fact, despite having several large corporations offering their case
studies, La Trobe is the first to ask.

Have you contacted you school's ombusdman (or other legal officer)? I expect
that what your PR department wants is reasurrance that posting your case
study on our site could never lead to a suit against your school, or to the
school becoming liable for our project's debts in some way. Only an
attorney is going to be able to provide such assurance with authority.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions