Re: location of the configuration files

From: Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: location of the configuration files
Date: 2003-02-14 15:10:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> I am happy to design an arrangement that allows you not to depend on
> PGDATA if you don't want to. But I don't see why you need to break
> my configuration procedures in order to fix yours. As I outlined last
> night, it's possible to do what you want without breaking backwards
> compatibility for those that like PGDATA.

Yes, I agree. I hadn't really thought of all the possible benefits of
PGDATA. Sorry. :-(

Would you agree that it would be a beneficial change to have pg_ctl
pass explicit arguments to postmaster? It would go a long way towards
eliminating most of the situations I described.

A warning in the documentation about the consequences of using PGDATA
might not be a bad idea, either...

--
Kevin Brown kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com