Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

From: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, Ron Mayer <ron(at)intervideo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System
Date: 2003-01-31 08:55:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Friday 31 January 2003 05:08, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com> writes:
>
> > And what about MySQL?
>
> What about it? Someone claimed in this thread that MySQL's Windows port
> requires Cygwin. Is that true or not?

For reference, from the INSTALL-SOURCE file included in
the MySQL sources which I have lying about [*]:

[*] danged legacy applications ;-)

--QUOTE START--

Windows Source Distribution
---------------------------

You will need the following:

* VC++ 6.0 compiler (updated with 4 or 5 SP and Pre-processor
package) The Pre-processor package is necessary for the macro
assembler. More details at:
`http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/sp/vs6sp5/faq.asp'.

* The MySQL source distribution for Windows, which can be downloaded
from `http://www.mysql.com/downloads/'.

Building MySQL

1. Create a work directory (e.g., workdir).

2. Unpack the source distribution in the aforementioned directory.

3. Start the VC++ 6.0 compiler.

4. In the `File' menu, select `Open Workspace'.

5. Open the `mysql.dsw' workspace you find on the work directory.

6. From the `Build' menu, select the `Set Active Configuration' menu.

7. Click over the screen selecting `mysqld - Win32 Debug' and click
OK.

8. Press `F7' to begin the build of the debug server, libs, and some
client applications.

9. When the compilation finishes, copy the libs and the executables
to a separate directory.

10. Compile the release versions that you want, in the same way.

11. Create the directory for the MySQL stuff: e.g., `c:\mysql'

12. From the workdir directory copy for the c:\mysql directory the
following directories:

* Data

* Docs

* Share

13. Create the directory `c:\mysql\bin' and copy all the servers and
clients that you compiled previously.

14. If you want, also create the `lib' directory and copy the libs
that you compiled previously.

15. Do a clean using Visual Studio.

Set up and start the server in the same way as for the binary Windows
distribution. *Note Windows prepare environment::.

--QUOTE END--

Ian Barwick
barwick(at)gmx(dot)net