MS ODBC drivers?

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: MS ODBC drivers?
Date: 2002-12-19 18:03:08
Lists: sfpug

Kind people,

I know this is a little bit out to left field, but I thought I'd ask.
I've got the, um, privilege of porting an application that ran on
MSSQL to Postgres.

The ER diagram is every RDBMS person's nightmare--all boxes, no lines.
These geniuses decided that 0 is often, but of course not always, the
same thing as NULL. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
</rant>

Anyhow, it'd be nice if I could hook up directly to this thing
(W2K/MS-SQL) from the new box (Linux/PostgreSQL), and I believe ODBC
is a fairly straightforward way to do it. Any pointers?
Alternatives? Extra points if I can use Perl's DBI from the Linux
side.

Big TIA :) :)

Cheers,
David Fetter david(at)fetter(dot)org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100 cell: +1 415 235 3778