Re: v7.3.1 tar ready ... please check it ...

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: v7.3.1 tar ready ... please check it ...
Date: 2002-12-18 23:44:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > I was unclear on that. If they install right over their existing
> > pgsql/lib directory, the old libpq will still be there, so a recompile
> > will not be required.
>
> That's kind of like saying, if you keep using PostgreSQL 7.2 then a
> dump/restore will not be required. ;-) Installing new code directly over
> old one without deleting is an extremely bad strategy.

Well, our release notes say:

A dump/restore is *not* required for those running 7.3.

and INSTALL says:

4. Installing The Files
Note: If you are upgrading an existing system and are going to
install the new files over the old ones, then you should have
backed up your data and shut down the old server by now, as
explained in the Section called If You Are Upgrading above.

In fact, we are a unclear about exactly when you need a dump/reload and
when you don't. Seems the INSTALL file should have a clearer setup for
folks upgrading from 7.3 to 7.3.1.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us