Re: Big 7.4 items

From: <darren(at)up(dot)hrcoxmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, kward(at)peerdirect(dot)com, patrickm(at)redhat(dot)com, darren(at)up(dot)hrcoxmail(dot)com, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, jrnield(at)usol(dot)com
Subject: Re: Big 7.4 items
Date: 2002-12-13 20:42:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Note that while Spread is open source in the sense that "the source is
> > available", it's license is significantly more restrictive than
> > PostgreSQL's:
> >
> > http://www.spread.org/license/
> >

> Interesting. It looks like a modified version of the old BSD license
> where you are required to mention you are using Spread. I believe we
> can get that reduced. (I think Darren already addressed this with
> them.) We certainly are not going to accept software that requires all
> PostgreSQL user sites to mention Spread.

I dont think this is the case. We don't redistribute spread
from the pg-replication site. There are links to the down
load area. I don't think this should be any different if
postgres-r is merged with the main postgresql tree. If
Spread is the group communication we choose to use for
postgresql replication, then I would think some Spread
information would be in order on the advocacy site, and
in any set up documentation for replication.

I have spoken to Yair Amir from the Spread camp on
several occasions, and they are very excited about the
replication project. I sure it won't be an issue, but
I will forward this message to him.

Darren