Re: CLUSTER ALL syntax

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CLUSTER ALL syntax
Date: 2002-11-17 23:43:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> > In looking at the CLUSTER ALL patch I have applied, I am now wondering
> > why the ALL keyword is used. When we do VACUUM, we don't use ALL.
> > VACUUM vacuums all tables. Shouldn't' CLUSTER alone do the same thing.
>
> I agree, lose the ALL.

Good. I can take care of that or someone can submit a patch.

> > And what about REINDEX? That seems to have a different syntax from the
> > other two. Seems there should be some consistency.
>
> We don't have a REINDEX ALL, and I'm not in a hurry to invent one.
> (Especially, I'd not want to see Alvaro spending time on that instead
> of fixing the underlying btree-compaction problem ;-))

My point for REINDEX was a little different. The man pages shows:

REINDEX { DATABASE | TABLE | INDEX } <replaceable
class="PARAMETER">name</replaceable> [ FORCE ]

where we don't have ALL but we do have DATABASE. Do we need that
tri-valued secodn field for reindex because you can reindex a table _or_
and index, and hence DATABASE makes sense? I am just asking.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us