Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL.

From: Jeff Davis <list-pgsql-hackers(at)empires(dot)org>
To: "Pgsql-Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL.
Date: 2002-10-12 04:18:23
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

Oh yes, I agree. ALTER TABLE ... DROP COLUMN helps out a lot. I actually don't
use that for much yet because 7.3 is still in beta. However, I certainly
can't complain to the developers for it since it's already developed :)

I am consistantly amazed by every minor version release. If postgres had a
marketing team it would be at version 37.3 by now. In my last email I agreed
with Scott Marlowe that postgres is better off without the casting of an
entire column, since that's kind of a dangeous procedure and can be completed
in a round-about (read: explicit) way by postgres anyway, that doesn't lose
your data until after you've had a chance to look at the new stuff.

Regards,
Jeff