people's contributions

From: elein <elein(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: elein(at)norcov(dot)com
Subject: people's contributions
Date: 2002-10-07 20:18:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi,

Since most of you don't know me, I thought I'd also send a little
intro about what I could contribute. I think it is important to know
our individual strengths so that we as a group can better address
questions and inquiries.

I'm a long-time veteran of ORDBMs. I worked with Illustra
(back when it was Miro') and after Illustra was acquired I
was the technical manager of the datablade API on the
server for Informix IUS. Currently I'm writing an extensibility
focussed book on PostgreSQL.

I could help advocacy primarily as a contact in a couple of ways.
If people have questions about the similarities and differences between
PostgreSQL and Illustra and/or Informix IUS* I can usually answer these.
I could answer questions on general capabilities, particularly with regards
to extensibility. I can also address some questions about the differences
between ORDBMS theory and practice.

I can also do whatever is needed.

If you are considering people's locations, I am in the SF Bay Area. Location,
like language, is sometimes a consideration. There are actually lots
of people in this area who can/do/did contribute to PostgreSQL. And, of
course, most current and former db people from Informix, IBM, Oracle, Sybase,
SleepyCat and Ingres are here.

The website looks great. The work put into it shows. It will be very effective
as a marketing tool.

Cheers,

Elein Mustain
elein(at)norcov(dot)com
http://www.norcov.com/~elein

*(Companies who have been using Informix IUS should be candidates
for using PostgreSQL since IBM bought Informix's database technology.)