Re: PG on Win2K

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: "Nikhil G(dot) Daddikar" <ngd(at)celoxis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG on Win2K
Date: 2002-08-30 15:53:56
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Nikhil,

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 02:29:24PM +0530, Nikhil G. Daddikar wrote:
> My questions:
> 1. is there a simple way for pg to be installed on win2k machines?

Yes, but it will require some work on your part. My suggestion is to
script the installation steps in my README:

http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.2.1.README

> 2. Is cygwin required?

Currently yes, but soon there should be a straight Win32 version
available. If you choose to wait for the Win32 version, then you can
ignore most (if not all) of this email.

> 3. Can we just bundle all the software so that the end user doesn't
> have to do all the work and also we have a controlled environment?

Yes, I have used self-extracting zip archives to clone Cygwin
environments very successfully in the past. There is no reason why this
would not work for you.

BTW, if you deploy a Cygwin PostgreSQL based solution, then make sure
that you comply with the licensing terms:

http://cygwin.com/licensing.html

The bottom line is just include the source to *all* of the apps that
link with the Cygwin DLL (i.e., cygwin1.dll) and the Cygwin DLL itself.

> The aim is to make it really easy.

This is very achievable, but as I stated above, it will require some
effort on your part.

Jason