Re: Open 7.3 items

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open 7.3 items
Date: 2002-08-27 19:19:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I think we need to resolve this discussion from a week ago. The current
code is this:

global usernames are stored just like before, e.g. postgres
local users are stored as user(at)dbname
when connecting, global users add '@' to their names
when connecting, local users use just their user name, no @dbname

Tom likes this because it is the fewer global users who have to append
the '@'.

Vince and Peter think that it should be local users adding '@' when
connecting because:

they have an @ sign in their name anyway
global users should be able to connect unchanged

I can foresee a time when we will have longer usernames, and local users
will be able to connect with the full user(at)dbname, and we can allow
user@ as a shortcut.

In summary, I prefer to change the code to have local users append the
'@'.

Comments?

It is an easy change and prevents what is a very confusing situation
where we add '@' for users who don't have @, and remove '@' for users
who have it.

Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us