Re: Question about LWLockAcquire's use of semaphores instead of spinlocks

From: "Robert E(dot) Bruccoleri" <bruc(at)stone(dot)congenomics(dot)com>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: bruc(at)acm(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question about LWLockAcquire's use of semaphores instead of spinlocks
Date: 2002-07-28 03:45:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane writes:

> "Robert E. Bruccoleri" <bruc(at)stone(dot)congenomics(dot)com> writes:
> > On SGI multiprocessor machines, I suspect that a spinlock
> > implementation of LWLockAcquire would give better performance than
> > using IPC semaphores. Is there any specific reason that a spinlock
> > could not be used in this context?
>
> Are you confusing LWLockAcquire with TAS spinlocks?

No.

> If you're saying that we don't have an implementation of TAS for
> SGI hardware, then feel free to contribute one. If you are wanting to
> replace LWLocks with spinlocks, then you are sadly mistaken, IMHO.

This touches on my question. Why am I mistaken? I don't understand.

BTW, about 5 years ago, I rewrote the TAS spinlocks for the
SGI platform to make it work correctly. The current implementation
is fine.

| Robert E. Bruccoleri, Ph.D. | email: bruc(at)acm(dot)org |
| P.O. Box 314 | URL: http://www.congen.com/~bruc |
| Pennington, NJ 08534 | |