Re: (A) native Windows port

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: (A) native Windows port
Date: 2002-07-10 14:12:11
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday 10 July 2002 03:24 am, Jan Wieck wrote:
> Oliver Elphick wrote:
> > The current upgrade process for PostgreSQL is founded on the idea that
> > people build from source. With binary distributions, half the users
> > wouldn't know what to do with source; they expect (and are entitled to

> I have to object here. The PostgreSQL upgrade process is based on
> the idea of dump, install, initdb, restore. That has nothing to
> do with building from source or installing from binaries.

Let me interject a minor point here. I recall upgrade cycles where I had to
install a newer pg_dump in order to get my data out of the old system due to
bugs in the prior pg_dump. Getting two versions of PostgreSQL to cooexist
peacefully in a binary packaged environment is a completely different problem
than the typical 'from source' installation path -- which almost implies two
versions available concurrently. I believe this is the artifact Oliver was
alluding to.

I personally have not had the luxury of having two complete installations
available at one instant during RPM upgrades. Nor will any users of
prepackaged binaries.

> The problem why this conflicts with these package managers is,
> because they work package per package, instead of looking at the
> big picture. Who said you can replace package A before running
> the pre-upgrade script of dependent package B?

How does this create the problem? The postgresql-server subpackages of two
versions are 'Package A' above. There is no package B.

Define 'the big picture' for all possible permutations of installed packages,
please.

> Somehow this looks
> like a foreign key violation to me. Oh, I forgot, RI constraints
> are for documentation purposes only ... Greetings from the MySQL
> documentation ;-)

Is sarcasm really necessary?
--
Lamar Owen