Re: [OT] OOo postgres connection

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: sol(at)autonomon(dot)net, "Sol" <sol(at)terminus(dot)net(dot)au>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [OT] OOo postgres connection
Date: 2002-06-26 18:17:33
Lists: pgsql-novice

Sol,

> This may be more of an OpenOffice.org question, but I thought I might
> try here first as I'm already subscribed. I'm trying to connect my
> Postgres 7.2.1 on Debian (sid) to the data sources in OOo. In the "Data
> Source Administration" panel I am asked for the Data Source URL and the
> prompted with "sdbc:odbc:" This makes sense as I've chosen to make an
> ODBC connection and installed the odbc-postgresql driver. But it refuses
> to connect even though I've created a postgres user for my database with
> the details correctly entered in the OOo interface. I'm stumped by what
> the Data Source URL might be. I just typed the name of the database "tswa".
> Any tips appreciated.

1. Join users(at)openoffice(dot)org and ask for advice on that list.
2. Browse the user forum at www.ooodocs.org. There's an area for data access
questions.

However, your issue is easy: select "ODBC" data source type, and then type
the name of your ODBC data source driver after the sdbc:odbc. If this
doesn't work, it's because you haven't set up the ODBC driver for your
database. Go to www.unixodbc.org and read the documentation there on
setting up data source drivers.

Evolved OpenOffice.org (evolvedoo.sourceforge.net) has a more user-friendly
ODBC-OOo configuration tool, but I think it's still in Alpha.

--
-Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL and OpenOffice.org Volunteer