Re: Per tuple overhead, cmin, cmax, OID

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Per tuple overhead, cmin, cmax, OID
Date: 2002-06-07 05:59:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at> writes:
> > No comment on a planned 7.3 timeframe? :-(
>
> I think we are planning to go beta in late summer (end of August, say).
> Probably in July we'll start pressing people to finish up any major
> development items, or admit that they won't happen for 7.3. So we've
> still got a couple months of full-tilt development mode before we
> start to worry about tightening up for release.

I am concerned about slowing down too early. We did that in previous
releases and didn't get the beta focus we needed, and it was too
paralyzing on people to know what is to be slowed and what to keep
going. I think a slowdown two weeks before beta would be fine.

Basically, I think the slowdown lengthened the time we were not doing
something productive.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us