Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port

From: Robert Schrem <robert(dot)schrem(at)WiredMinds(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port
Date: 2002-06-06 09:54:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Bruce,

You obviosuly missed my recent posting advertising the homepage
of Konstantin Knizhnik?

Make sure to have a look: http://www.garret.ru/~knizhnik/

You find there -everything- concerning multiplatform IPC,
threading and even some extraordinary, complete database
backends that are superior to the database backends
previously available as open source (including PostgreSQL,
I'm afraid...). The licensing of all of this stuff is -public domain-.
I think this should really be worth a look/discussion/mentioning.

Here an excerpt of my last email, describing the furios list
of features abailable in GOODS:

Some core features of the GOODS backend (as they come to my mind):
-> full ACID transaction support, incl. distributed transactions
-> Multiple stoarge servers distributed over a TCP/ID network
-> multible reader/single writer (MVCC)
-> dual client side object cache
-> online backup (snapshot backup AND permanent backup)
-> nested transactions on object level
-> transaction isolation levels on object level
-> object level shared and exclusive locks
-> excellent C++ programming interface
-> WAL
-> garbage collection for no longer reference database objects (online VACUUM)
-> fully thread safe client interface
-> JAVA client API
-> very high performance as a result of a lot of fine tuning (better
perfomance than berkeley db in my benchmarks!!!)
-> asyncrous event notification on object instance modification
-> extremly high code quality
-> a one person effort, hence a very clean design
-> the most relevant platforms are supported out of the box
-> complete build is done in less than a minute on my machine
-> it's documented
-> it's tested and found to be working for a while now

kind regards,
Robert Schrem