Re: PostgreSQL on AIX

From: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on AIX
Date: 2002-06-06 10:34:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

On June 5, 2002 12:33 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > On May 13, 2002 12:50 am, Rajesh Kumar Mallah. wrote:

Catching up on an old mailbox, Bruce? :-)

> > Now if only I could get IBM to understand that. They still claim that my
> > problem is that PostgreSQL (an "unsupported" application) is doing
> > something to catch SIGKILL.
>
> First, an application can't catch SIGKILL. It never arrives to
> applications. It is supposed to pull the process with no warning.
>
> However, there are things processes can do to wedge themselves in a
> system call so they don't see the SIGKILL. Of course, as soon as they
> return from the system call, they die.

Exactly. What IBM was saying was was that we were "catching" SIGKILL and I
could not convince the (supposedly technical) IBMers that they were talking
out their ass.

Anyway, I am pretty sure that PostgreSQL is not the culprit here. As it
happens this project is back on the table for me so it is interesting that
your email popped up now. I just compiled the latest version of PostgreSQL
on my AIX system and it generated lots of errors and then completed and
installed fine. Makes me sort of nervous. We'll see how it goes. Anyone
have any horror/success stories about PostgreSQL on AIX for me?

Changed subject and mailing list.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at){druid|vex}.net> | Democracy is three wolves