Re: FAQ - French traduction

From: Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jean-paul(dot)argudo(at)idealx(dot)com>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FAQ - French traduction
Date: 2002-05-15 09:07:37
Lists: pgsql-docs

> On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 08:36, Jean-Paul ARGUDO wrote:
> > I am currently traducing the FAQ (cvs version) into french.
>
> "traduce" means to speak evil of falsely, to defame, malign, slander or
> misrepresent. The word you want is "translate".

Yes, I really apologize for such beginner's mistake.

I really have problems with english when I am too busy and when I have
to write fast. I apologize it really.

I looked at the definition of "traduce" and it is interesting to learn
that many meanings are now obsolete. English people may now give to
"traduce" the mean of an italian proverb " Traduttore mentore " (the
translator is a lyar)...

-*-
$ dict traduce
2 definitions found

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

Traduce \Tra*duce"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Traduced}; p. pr. &
vb. n. {Traducing}.] [L. traducere, traductum, to lead
across, lead along, exhibit as a spectacle, disgrace,
transfer, derive; trans across, over + ducere to lead: cf. F.
traduire to transfer, translate, arraign, fr. L. traducere.
See {Duke}.]
1. To transfer; to transmit; to hand down; as, to traduce
mental qualities to one's descendants. [Obs.] --Glanvill.

2. To translate from one language to another; as, to traduce
and compose works. [Obs.] --Golden Boke.

3. To increase or distribute by propagation. [Obs.]

From these only the race of perfect animals were
propagated and traduced over the earth. --Sir M.
Hale.

4. To draw away; to seduce. [Obs.]

I can forget the weakness Of the traduced soldiers.
--Beau. & Fl.

5. To represent; to exhibit; to display; to expose; to make
an example of. [Obs.] --Bacon.

6. To expose to contempt or shame; to represent as blamable;
to calumniate; to vilify; to defame.

The best stratagem that Satan hath . . . is by
traducing the form and manner of them [prayers], to
bring them into contempt. --Hooker.

He had the baseness . . . to traduce me in libel.
--Dryden.

Syn: To calumniate; vilify; defame; disparage; detract;
depreciate; decry; slander.

From WordNet (r) 1.7 [wn]:

traduce
v : speak unfavorably about; "She badmouthes her husband
everywhere" [syn: {badmouth}, {malign}, {drag through the
mud}]

--
Jean-Paul ARGUDO IDEALX S.A.S
Consultant bases de données 15-17, av. de Ségur