Re: Fwd: Postfix Relay Hub SMTP server: errors from postgresql.org[64.49.215.8]

From: Paul M Foster <paulf(at)quillandmouse(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Postfix Relay Hub SMTP server: errors from postgresql.org[64.49.215.8]
Date: 2002-05-02 22:50:21
Lists: pgadmin-support pgsql-general

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 10:33:00PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> Paul M Foster <paulf(at)quillandmouse(dot)com> writes:
> > No kidding! Every single time I send something to this list, I get all
> > the bounces coming back to me. I admin five lists, and bounces never go
> > back to the person posting, only the admin for handling. But not this
> > list.
>
> Oh? AFAICT the PG lists mail out with envelope sender and Sender:
> header both pointing to list-bot addresses. What else would you have
> it do?

Here's what it's supposed to do: 1) I send a message to the list. 2)
Listserv echos the message out to subscribers. 3) Subscriber X's email
is messed up. 4) Listserv receives a bounce because of this. 5) Listserv
emails a notice to the list admin, detailing the bounce.

Here's what _shouldn't_ happen: 5) Listserv emails a notice to the
original poster, detailing the bounce. Unfortunately, this is what
_does_ happen.

> As a frequent poster to the PG lists, I'm sure I see as many problems
> as anyone. But they're rare. Once in awhile some subscriber's mail
> software starts bouncing complaints back to the message author instead
> of the list-sender address. I complain to Marc, he unsubscribes the
> offenders, and that's that. I can't recall that there was ever more
> than one such bogosity active at the same time.

From my original post on this thread, I have received 37 bounces from
different addresses subscribed to the pg list. Be glad to forward them
if anyone cares to see. I didn't check all the headers, but on my
original post, the headers contain an Errors-To that points back to me.
In most other cases, Errors-To points to
pgsql-general-owner+M23998(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot) This is probably why this is
happening. But I don't have this with any other list. I'm posting to
postgresql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)

I'm used to getting bounces on the five lists I admin, just not on lists
I _don't_ admin. I haven't examined the headers on the current bounces
to determine why they might have come to me, though I doubt they'd be
much help, since the bounce messages are originating from the listserv.

> > ... since I can't find an actual person to send complaints to
> > about the list.
>
> Marc Fournier <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> is the man to talk to about list
> problems. IMHO he runs these lists pretty well (and yes, I have
> some experience as a list admin, too).

Thanks. I'll CC Marc on this, and maybe he can assist.

Paul