Re: Locale support is now on by default

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Locale support is now on by default
Date: 2002-04-03 19:24:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane writes:
>
> > It might be that Bruce's recent changes to elog levels allow a graceful
> > compromise about backend messages during initdb. I haven't looked, but
> > maybe initdb could run the backend with message level one notch higher
> > than LOG to suppress all the normal-case messages without masking not-
> > so-normal cases.
>
> There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off LOG without hiding almost
> everything:
>
> if (lev == LOG || lev == COMMERROR)
> {
> if (server_min_messages == LOG)
> output_to_server = true;
> else if (server_min_messages < FATAL)
> output_to_server = true;
> }
>
> Everything except for PANIC is less than FATAL, so this doesn't make sense
> to me.

Actually, what this is saying is that for an elog(LOG) to show, the
server_min_messages, must be less than FATAL. Setting
server_min_messages to FATAL means only FATAL and PANIC appear:

Server levels are:

# debug5, debug4, debug3, debug2, debug1,
# info, notice, warning, error, log, fatal, panic

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us