Re: psql and output from \?

From: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql and output from \?
Date: 2002-03-11 22:35:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Monday 11 March 2002 19:21, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I haven't seen a followup patch so I decided to work on it myself;
> patch attached and applied to CVS. Thanks.

I hang my head in shame and plead an unfortunate period
of downtime due to an unplanned affliction with work :-(

"Unfortunately" after submitting my suggestions I took a look at
the source code (should have done it the other way round)
and found a few more (minor) discrepancies between what
\? says and what the various slash commands do.

This mainly affects the various \d commands, many (but not
all) of which take a regular expression ("pattern") as an optional
argument. Particularly the following \? output:

\d{t|i|s|v}... list tables/indexes/sequences/views
\d{p|S|l} list access privileges, system tables, or large objects

is misleading, because \dp and \dl can only be used on their own,
whereas any combination of i, s, t, v and / or S can be used together:
\dtvS is valid, whereas \dpSl is not. Also, \d{t|i|s|v|S} and \dp accept
a regular expression as an argument, \dl does not.

So with no further ado I humbly submit the attached patch, which builds on
your patch and tidies up / harmonises the \? output.

(If the patch itself is problematic, please let me know why and how I can
fix it, it's the first patch I've submitted for PostgreSQL).

Yours

Ian Barwick

Attachment Content-Type Size
psql_help.diff text/plain 8.3 KB