pgAdmin2 UTF-8 support

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgAdmin2 UTF-8 support
Date: 2002-02-24 21:39:14
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-odbc

Dear friends,

PostgreSQL 7.2 offers extensive UTF-8 support. In case of an UTF-8 database,
the big news seems that we now have to write function and view definitions in
UTF-8.

The problem is that pgAdmin2, HighlightBox (the colour code editor) and the
result view do not support Unicode by now. And probably will not whithout
further information.

Questions :
1) Is it possible to convert functions/views to/from UTF-8/SQL_ASCII using
server-side queries in PostgreSQL. $M cowboys do not offer tools to convert
Unicode on the fly in VB. Is there something in PostgreSQL?

to_ascii can convert from unicode to ascii.
How can we do the converse?

2) Do you know if ODBC UCS-2 support would help us with pgAdmin2? Does anyone
has extensive knowledge of UCS-2 support under VB? As far as I know, VB only
supports reading UCS-2 files and displaying data in Hflexgrid.

Any idea welcome,
Cheers, Jean-Michel POURE