Re: [ODBC] pgAdmin2 UTF-8 support

From: "Dannyi(at)barak(dot)net(dot)il" <dannyi(at)barak(dot)net(dot)il>
To: <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>, "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ODBC] pgAdmin2 UTF-8 support
Date: 2002-02-25 08:22:20
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-odbc

Jean Michel
We have a Unicode hebrew db in PG7.2. Uou dont need to write the functions
and views in UTF-8 unless you have some
literals inside the code. We had this issue with Hebrew; so we store all
the literals as tokens in another table which may have some overhead but
makes for great flexibility. None of our functions or views are coded in
UTF-8 and they work just fine.

If you have some functions that MUST be in UNICODE you might define them as
triggers so that when VB does an action on the PG db - the trigger fires -
that should give you transparent operation to VB.

FWIW - the gnu recode function converts anything to anything. It can run on
the server side - for example in plpgtcl procedures.

BTW - you probably all know this but if you really want ORDER BY to work in
Unicode - you should use glibc2.2 - ie. RH72.

Best rgrds
danny lieberman