Pseudo modification of views and triggers (again)

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Pseudo modification of views and triggers (again)
Date: 2002-02-19 19:53:28
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dear Dave,

View pseudo-modification works fine. It was implemented in
pgSchema->pgView->Let Defition property. This allows the modification of view
definition only (not the name of the view).

This is OK because view names should not be changed (views can be called
inside functions or other views).

The problem with pgSchema->pgView->Let Defition is that if a wrong definition
is entered, an error is reported and the definition is saved in PostgreSQL.
This ***might*** be a new feature of PostgreSQL 7.2. I don't remember 7.1
accepted wrong definitions for views, but I may be wrong.

We need to rollback views in such a case.

Does this means implementing view modification at pgSchema->View level?

2) Triggers
It should be possible to change the name of a trigger as well as the
underlying function, but not the trigger table itself. Therefore, it sounds
like trigger pseudo modification should be implemented in pgSchema->Triggers.
What is your opinion?

3) CVS commit
The current implementation of views works well. Therefore, I will commit it
to CVS in a few minutes so that you can review the code.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel