Listing Triggers

From: Brian McCane <bmccane(at)mccons(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Listing Triggers
Date: 2002-01-30 09:13:51
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-sql

Greetings,

I am sure I have seen this, but I have searched the docs, and
tried to search the archives, which was a definite exercise in futility.
How can I list the triggers on a specific table? I tried the following:

=> select * from pg_trigger where tgargs like '%foo%' ;
ERROR: Unable to identify an operator '~~' for types 'bytea' and 'unknown'
You will have to retype this query using an explicit cast

The reason I ask is because I had a problem the other day. I dropped a
table and the triggers didn't get deleted. I couldn't do anything with
the other table the trigger was on because all of my constraints failed.
I had to go in and manually find and delete the triggers, which was not an
easy task. Finding a couple needles out of 500+ triggers with no good
tools to help me was not fun. HINT: I dumped pg_trigger with oid's to a
file, found the triggers using grep, and then deleted them by oid.

- brian

Wm. Brian McCane | Life is full of doors that won't open
Search http://recall.maxbaud.net/ | when you knock, equally spaced amid those
Usenet http://freenews.maxbaud.net/ | that open when you don't want them to.
Auction http://www.sellit-here.com/ | - Roger Zelazny "Blood of Amber"