Re: PostgreSQL crashes with Qmail-SQL

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
Cc: Holger Krug <hkrug(at)rationalizer(dot)com>, Michael Devogelaere <michael(at)digibel(dot)be>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL crashes with Qmail-SQL
Date: 2002-01-25 14:05:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
> At 11:26 AM 1/25/02 +0100, Holger Krug wrote:
> >so I won't repeat that stuff here), but I know that for scenarios like
> >yours connection pooling was invented. Connection pooling avoids the
> >creation of a new backend process for each single query. Did you ever
> >try your test with connection pooling ? Real databases *require*
> >connection pooling in such a case, MySQL or file systems
>
> If the database crashes are not due to resource limits, connection pooling
> does not seem to be the real solution.

The crash he reported this time looks like a backend dumping
core. I wonder how he killed the postmaster the last time
and if he by doing it with -9 corrupted the database?

The entire discussion is somehow pointless. Tell some Riksha-
puller to compare his Riksha with this brand new Ferrari, and
wait his comments after the test drive. He'll probably won't
get the damn thing moving, and if, it'd be a hell of a ride,
so he will tell you that his Riksha has a much better
handling and the Ferrari *crashed*.

Jan