Re: PostgreSQL crashes with Qmail-SQL

From: Michael Devogelaere <michael(at)digibel(dot)be>
To: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL crashes with Qmail-SQL
Date: 2002-01-24 14:28:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> As the doc says, all done totally untuned. And CRASH by
> itself doesn't say anything. A little more precise would be
> good.
Ok: the client reported something like:
"Unexpected EOF from PostgreSQL-backend". When looking with ps aux, i noted
that all postmaster-childs where <defunct>. I couldn't connect anymore with
psql (i aborted the test and no other processes tried to access the database
since my machine was in single user mode). After killing the master process and
restarting, the database worked fine.

> Other than that, once again one of these mostly read only
> scenarios with simple queries where it is well known that a
> real database cannot compete.
True: i planned two tests. One big read-only test and then another which would
add simulation of pop-logins. After a successful pop-login the field
'lastlogin' is updated. But i didn't run that test since postgresql already
failed the simple read-only test.

Kind regards,
Michael Devogelaere.