Re: Commercial: New Book!! PostgreSQL book is released into

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-announce <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Commercial: New Book!! PostgreSQL book is released into
Date: 2002-01-14 20:30:54
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-docs pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-novice pgsql-sql

Dear PostgreSQL community,

Most of the longer standing members of the PostgreSQL
developers or users communities know very well what to do
with information provided by Al Dev (aka Alavoor Vasudevan).

For those who don't know yet, some personal notes that might
help you to make your decision:

* The first edition of Al Dev's book was published by
iUniverse under the title "Database-SQL-RDBMS Howto", ISBN
0-595-13675-3. It is currently on rank 439,321 at
amazon.com. Rank! Not to be mistakenly read as sold copies.

* The book contains Al Dev's original Database-HOWTO. The
PostgreSQL coreteam had a hard time to get this document
"removed" from official sites like linuxdoc.org. It can
still be found on the net, google for the keywords:

"al dev" postgresql howto nuclear weapons in ancient india

An obvious relationship ... no?

* For more examples of his style to put important information
together visit his website

http://www.aldev.8m.com

The table of content for the new book looks the same again.
This is no real drawback and since it is all important
information, one has to read it all anyway, so there was no
need to waste time by putting it into any specific order.

* Every now and then Al Dev seems to feel the need to clearly
point out the superior advantage of open source technology
over commercial products. He then posts his important new
information on a number of mailing lists.

I do appreciating when people think open source technology
is a good thing in general. I also prefer arguments based
on technical facts without polemic bashing.

I have to admit that I am quite courious about it. Since this
one seems not to be available online, I might have order it,
only to write a readers review.

Jan