Re: ehm...

From: andrea gelmini <andrea(dot)gelmini(at)linux(dot)it>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ehm...
Date: 2002-01-13 12:17:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On ven, gen 11, 2002 at 03:16:12 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Yes, I would like a copy of your script.
i will package script and 'instructions' soon.
i've got also two snapshots of db after the crash (tar files of postgres
directory)

> I just found and fixed a problem that could lead to this kind of failure
> (reference to an already-deleted CLOG entry). However, I'm not sure
yesterday i spent the afternoon doing a lot of test... now, i think you
don't need the details because...

> that the problem I fixed could affect VACUUM itself. Please update from
you was right, and there's no need of vacuum db to crash the postmaster...
doing a fresh installation, a fresh initdb, starting my script (and a
second bash script that does nothing more than a simple insert) after about
1 milion transactions i can see the problem (after changed sources as you told
me), without vacuumdb.

> cvs (make sure you get src/backend/utils/time/tqual.c v 1.46) and then
> see if you still see the problem. If you do, a backtrace from the point
> where elog() is called would be really helpful.
tomorrow i will redo all my tests, but i guess now the bug is fixed.

thanks a lot for your work,
andrea

n.b.: when you'll come in italy i'll be happy to be your host...