Re: Thoughts on the location of configuration files

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the location of configuration files
Date: 2001-12-19 06:23:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday 19 December 2001 12:47 am, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> > > As to the security points that Tom brings up, you don't put anything in
> > > /etc directly -- you put it under /etc/pgsql, and lock it down the same
> > > as$PGDATA.

> > That'd work if we assume that /etc/pgsql can be owned by the postgres

> > Personally I think this would be a fine idea, I'm just worried that
> > we'll find packagers overriding the decision because "the Debian
> > standards don't allow you to do that" or whatever.

> Seems the proper default location is /usr/local/pgsql/config. Anything
> else and non-root people have trouble with the install.

Oh, I'm not talking _default_ -- I'm talking 'optional and allowed'. IMHO,
default should be /usr/local/pgsql/etc. This is sysconfdir under configure in
the default case, right? That's Peter's proposal -- use sysconfdir for its
intended purpose in all installs. Of course, sysconfdir varies -- but then a
'pg_config --configure' gives you where things are by default..... Although I
didn't know about 'statedir' being PREFIX/var by default. Nice one to know.

Could pg_config possibly be endowed with another option -- while listing the
options given to configure is nice, it would be nicer to list all the options
configure had, including the defaults, in a slightly more useful form?
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio