Re: ALTER TABLE RENAME fix

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE RENAME fix
Date: 2001-11-12 21:07:39
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Brent Verner wrote:

> On 12 Nov 2001 at 18:28 (+0100), Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> | Brent Verner writes:
> |
> | > These patches fix the problem where an

> | > did not update the RI_ triggers if the oldcolumn was referenced in
> | > a RI constraint.
> |
> | Instead of trying to fix this, how about making the RI triggers not use
> | the column names in the first place. (Instead they should use the oid of
> | the table and the attnums.)
>
> I agree with you. Two things led me toward the current approach
> (modifying tgargs)
> 1) it would require fewer changes to get correct behavior, which
> was important as late in beta as I started and
> 2) I had /some/ idea of how to get it done ;-)
>
> I'll begin to look at what would be required to do it the right
> way for 7.3.

The biggest pain involved is deal with old dumps that have a create
constraint trigger with the names which would either mean we'd need
to support both for a version or have it massage the data on the
create constraint trigger if the function being specified is one of
the ri functions since I don't think its preferable to force one to
use the new dump to upgrade.