Re: New To PostgreSQL

From: "Brent R(dot) Matzelle" <bmatzelle(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Ince <tince(at)acsinc-nj(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-General \(E-mail\)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New To PostgreSQL
Date: 2001-09-27 17:11:15
Lists: pgsql-general

--- Tom Ince <tince(at)acsinc-nj(dot)com> wrote:
> I am attempting to convert an database currently running on
> Informix to
> a free database on Linux (RedHat 6.1). I have a question.....
>
> I learned that MySQL, does not maintain foreign keys, which
> affects me
> because I need to use things like CHECK in the CREATE TABLE
> statements.
> So thats why I am not trying PostgreSQL. Does PostgreSQL
> support
> foreign keys?

Yes.

> Are there any other quirks I might run into as
> far as
> SQL syntax goes?

The syntax is very ANSI SQL 92 compliant. I have projects which
can interchangebly utilize PostgreSQL, MSSQL, and MySQL with
little changes.

The only thing that might require a change in code is that the
PostgreSQL LIKE is case-sensitive, unlike other databases. You
have to change your queries to ILIKE.

Brent