Re: Default encoding in database

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Jacob Vennervald Madsen <jvm(at)gopinocchio(dot)com>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Default encoding in database
Date: 2001-08-30 09:52:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 11:04:39AM +0200, Jacob Vennervald Madsen wrote:
> If I do rebuild it with initdb will I still have all my data?

No of course, initdb create everything again... but if you have
only templates DB you probably haven't some data, else you must
dump all your DB and backup it and rebuild templates.

> > > List of databases
> > > Database | Owner | Encoding
> > > ------------+----------+-----------
> > > template0 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
> > > template1 | postgres | SQL_ASCII
> > > Jacob

BTW, I don't understand why you don't create new databases by
CREATE DATABASE bar WITH ENCODING = 'foo' or by "createdb -E".

Karel

--
Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/